Arrival by train
If you travel to Karlsruhe by train, you will arrive at the main station in the city’s south. From here, you may choose between different means of transport to reach the IfR at the KIT’s Campus South.
• Karlsruhe has a sophisticated public transport network. All tram and bus lines are operated by the local traffic enterprise “KVV“ and can thus be used with the same ticket. Several tram lines depart from the main station‘s forecourt. Line 2 (blue sign, direction Wolfartsweier), line 3 (brown sign, direction Heide) and line S4 (red brown sign, direction Bretten/Gölshausen) head towards the KIT’s Campus South. To reach the Institute of Regional Science, choose either of these lines and exit at the station “Durlacher Tor“. The Institute of Regional Science is located in the multi-storey building west of the Durlacher Tor (building 10.50, Campus South).
• You can also take a taxi at the main station’s forecourt to reach the KIT’s Campus South.
• There are car rental agencies in the main station. If you want to access the KIT’s Campus South by car, please note that you will need a visitor's pass available at the main gate of Campus South.
Arrival by car
Arrival by plane
- from Stuttgart Airport:
Arriving at Stuttgart Airport, you can reach Karlsruhe by car (using the motorways A8 and A5, see above) or by train (there is a shuttle bus from Stuttgart Airport to Stuttgart main station). The online travel planner of the Deutsche Bahn provides information on train connections, just enter "Stuttgart Flughafen" or "Stuttgart Hbf" as point of departure.
Helpline Deutsche Bahn: +49-711-948-33 88
- from Frankfurt Airport:
When reaching Frankfurt Airport, you may travel to Karlsruhe bei car or train. Some trains start directly at the airport; if you wish to look for a train connection to Karlsruhe, you may use the online travel planner of the Deutsche Bahn or one of the Deutsche Bahn ticket machines in the airport. Just enter "Frankfurt M Flugh." (airport) or "Frankfurt Main Hbf" (main station) as point of departure.
- from Baden-Baden Airport (Badenairpark):
When arriving at Badenairpark, take the bus number 205 direction "Merkurwald" and step off at Baden-Baden main railway station. This bus ride will take about 30 minutes. There are regular train connections from Baden-Baden main station to Karlsruhe main station. The train ride will take about 20 minutes. The online travel planner of the Deutsche Bahn provides information on train connections. Once you have arrived at Karlsruhe main station, see above in the section "train" how to reach the KIT from Karlsruhe main station.
Arrival by tram, bus, taxi or rented car
by tram:Karlsruhe has a sophisticated public transport system. In the town centre, the tram is the most convenient means of transport. On weekdays, trams operate every two to ten minutes. The public transport in Karlsruhe is organised by the
Karlsruher Verkehrsverbund , allowing you to use all trams and buses with the same type of ticket.
- Visit the KVV's homepage for more information.
Contact details of further car rental services are available in the Yellow Pages ...
- Interactive campus map
- Campus map (PDF) download and printable version
- City map of Karlsruhe (generalised and as aerial image )