The Institute of Regional Science (IfR) and the Institute of Urban and Regional Planning (ISL) at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) cooperate closely in research and teaching. Their interdisciplinary research teams analyse and answer space-related questions at the intersection between geo, natural and social science. They
- analyse social processes on a local and regional scale in developing and transition countries,
- analyse and create concepts and measures with regard to land use management and spatial development,
- conduct urban research and planning.
The work on these topics is carried out in the framework of
- the IfR’s and ISL’s topical research projects
- the course specialisation “spatial planning“ offered by the IfR/ISL for students of civil engineering, as well as
- the IfR’s Master’s Degree Course in Regional Science and Spatial Planning which includes two different programmes focussing on the special challenges of threshold and developing countries.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers scholarships for the Master's Degree Course.
Both programmes are closely linked to the institutes' research projects.