- Duration: 2 years (4 semesters)
- Start of studies: each year in October
- Degree awarded: Master of Science (MSc)
- Teaching language: German
- University places in this programme: 15
At a glance: The Master’s degree course in Regional Science/Spatial Planning
Who can apply?
Postgraduates with an above-average Bachelor's or licenciate degree in a relevant area of expertise: spatial planning, geography, urban planning, rural economics, forestry etc. as well as postgraduates with work experience in the above-mentioned or related fields.
Which application documents do I have to submit?
To apply for admission to the Master's Degree Programme in Regional Science/Spatial Planning, please fill in the KIT Online Application Form and add the following documents (n.b.: this listingis not final and may be subject to changes):
- A signed hardcopy of the KIT‘s Online application form
- Certified copies of your high school and university degrees including certified translations unless they are written in German, English or French
- A topical curriculum vitae (CV) detailing your education and work experience
- A strong letter of motivation (1-2 pages) explaining amongst others your career goals in the field of regional science and spatial planning beyond the background of the international focus of the Joint Master's programme;
- recommendation letter or employment reference, if available;
- a hardcopy of your final thesis, if available;
- a proof of your health insurance cover;
- a certificate on your German language expertise proving skills at the level “A2“ or above according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
Applicants with a German university entrance certificate are asked to send a hardcopy of their application including the above-listed enclosures to the KIT Students' Service by 30 September. Applicants with a non-Germany university entrance certificate are asked to send a hardcopy of their application including the above-listed enclosures to the KIT International Students' Office (IStO) by 15 July.
In the summer term 2014, the KIT’s tuition fees amount to 500,- € per semester. Exept of DAAD scholars, all students of the Master's programme in Regional Science/Spatial Planning have to pay these tution fees plus an administration fee currently amounting to 122.70 €/semester.
Applicants from developing countries may apply for a special DAAD scholarship offered for the Master’s Course in Regional Science / Spatial Planning. For more details, please visit the DAAD‘s
website at www.daad.de.
You can download the application form here LINK Please note that the application deadline for this kind of DAAD scholarship is one year before the actual start of studies! Learn more about the exact application deadline for your home country in the DAAD’s country-specific information.
Once a year, IfR and DAAD decide on the attribution of scholarships. Your can increase your chances to obtain a scholarship if you fulfill the following requirements:
- an above-average Bachelor’s or licenciate degree obtained after at least 3 years of university studies in a relevant subject area (spatial planning, geography, urban planning, rural economics, forestry etc)
- A strong letter of motivation (1-2 pages) explaining amongst others your career goals in the field of regional science and spatial planning and dealing with the international reference provided by the KIT’s Master’s Course in Regional Science / Spatial Planning.
- Professional experience in the field of regional science / spatial planning or related subject areas (proved by job references and referees)
- An official certificate on your German Language Expertise proving skills equalling the level “A2“ or higher according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Please send your complete application documents for the DAAD scholarship directly to the Institute of Regional Science:
Institut für Regionalwissenschaft
Studienberatung Dr. Andreas Megerle
Lerning German at the KIT
If you want to improve your German language proficiency before entering the Master’s degree course in Regional Science/Spatial Planning, you can register for an intensive German course with the KIT’s “Studienkolleg“. According to your level of expertise, the Studienkolleg offers different German courses for a fee of currently 350,--€ per semester.